Thursday 1 April 2010

Spring break

Next week will be the first time I've taken any holiday since Christmas and I really couldn't be more ready for it. It's been an incredibly long, tough, intense three months, though it's not been without its joys, particularly on the personal front. 

What is certain though is that I'm pretty knackered and have somewhat been lunging for Easter like a sprinter straining everything for the white tape on the line. 

There's something else too. I've lost that day to day passion for my job a little bit at present. There are still great moments each week, and I still maintain that any job in which your first task for the day is to read the paper is unbeatable. But I haven't quite been bounding into and around the office with the same gusto of late. 

This isn't any great crisis of job quitting proportions but more I suspect a result of the route I've enjoyed over the past two years. 

Being on a grad scheme where you rotate through different departments effectively turns your job into a series of sprints. After four sets of sprints I've suddenly entered a marathon, otherwise known as the rest of my career. 

Naturally it's going to take a while to get used to this change therefore. And given that I'm writing this whilst sitting on yet another train to Bristol it's fair to say I'm not the best person when it comes to change.  

I'm not so naive as to think there are jobs or even careers for life anymore though. I fully recognise that I'm at the start of a very long and hard to predict journey.

One of the consequences of our ever improving life expectancy is a longer working life. That means even more twists, turns and open doors and as far as I'm concerned that's nothing but a brilliant opportunity, both within my current and future jobs. 

So I still might not bound into work 10 days from now. But at some point in the near future I know I will.  

No comments: