Monday 8 September 2008

Vacation, Vacation, Vacation

Funny thing holidays. You can't wait to escape the office, kick back, have those extra beers during the night and revel in turning over and going back to sleep over and over again in the morning. And yet, bizarrely, I feel a bit empty, naked almost, without the bussle of the office.

Now I'm lucky I guess - I love what I do, but it's worth asking, are holidays really a good thing, especially longer ones? I'm increasingly becoming a fan of the long weekender over the long week off to be honest. A week off has so many downsides to match its bonuses - the forest of emails in the inbox, the two days it takes to get back up to speed, and the mear fact that the last couple of days of the holiday feel like a giant countdown clock above your head.

No, 3 day weekends are definitely the way forward. As such, I've developed a theory - it's the 9 day working fortnight, where every second Friday is part of the weekend. How fantastic would that be?

The main perk, as far as I can see, is that you'd avoid the weekly, depressing recurrence of what I call the 'Friday Night Syndrome'. This phenomenon is responsible for the failure of many (self included) to truly maximise their weekend. It entails having an absolutely scorching, ridiculously good Friday night, only to then blow the whole of Saturday getting over it. Suddenly it's Sunday, there's food to buy, washing to be done, and Bang, the weekend's gone; and you're left facing the witching hour that is 9:15, Sunday evening when reality dawns.

Introduce the 3 dayer on a rotational basis and the problem is cured - you can afford to have 'Hangin like a dog' on the Friday, and then enjoy the Saturday, before chilling on the Sunday. The idea is Genius.

Downsides? I suppose there'd no longer be happy hours in bars on Thursdays, and we might see the introduction of a new excuse into the fakers dictionary of reasons for pulling a sicky - 'Sorry Sir, I thought this was the 4 day week'. But apart from that, genuinely, wouldn't it work like a treat?

Apparently, you can email the Prime Minister from the No.10 website these days - I suspect this isn't strictly true; not unless Mr Brown has a similar system of lookalikes to the late Saddam Hussein. But nevertheless, I'm sure it might merit attention, if only as a gimmick to get the electorate back on his side.

In fact, I might combine this letter with the other one I've been meaning to send to Gordy's (soon to be ex) best mate, Alastair, asking why, in these inflation riddled times, he finds it acceptable not to bat an eyelid at Mr Lampard's recent 20% pay rise as a reward for jogging round a field for 90 minutes twice a week.

Even the fattest kids in school just about manage that onerous task.

No comments: